In Poland, an Afghan evacuee boy who ate poisonous mushrooms succumbed to his injuries.
According to authorities, a five-year-old Afghan boy who was evacuated from Kabul following the Taliban takeover died in Poland after consuming poisonous mushrooms.
According to a doctor, the boy’s six-year-old brother, who also consumed the mushrooms, underwent a liver transplant but is currently in critical condition.
The boys were staying at a refugee center near Warsaw after arriving in Poland with their family on August 23, and they had been there since.
They were taken to the hospital after consuming the mushrooms the next day.
“Unfortunately, we were unable to save both boys,” said Dr Marek Migdal, the hospital’s director, in a statement on Thursday, confirming the death of the five-year-old boy in the hospital.
He had suffered irreversible brain damage and, unlike his brother, was unable to receive a liver transplant due to this.
In the case of the brother, Dr Migdal stated that he had shown signs of severe brain damage and that the future for him was bleak.
At the same facility, a 17-year-old Afghan girl was receiving medical treatment after consuming mushrooms, which led to her illness. She has since been released from the hospital after making a full recovery.
According to prosecutors, the poisonings are currently under investigation.
According to reports in Polish media, an Afghan family harvested the mushrooms from a forested area and used them to make a soup.
Despite reports in the media, local officials have denied that the refuges were picking and eating the mushrooms because they were not being provided with enough food.
They are provided with “three meals a day,” according to Jakub Dudziak, a spokesman for the Office for Foreigners, which is in charge of helping Afghan evacuees who have arrived in Poland.
He claimed that employees at foreigner information centers had been instructed to warn Afghan citizens against eating wild mushrooms.
According to the Polish government, there are more than 250 poisonous fungi species in the country, some of which are potentially lethal to humans.
Originally from Afghanistan, the brothers were members of a family that was evacuated from Kabul by Polish forces. More than 1,000 Afghans who had collaborated with NATO forces in the country were evacuated from Poland.
The vast majority of evacuees will remain in Poland, but others who were evacuated by Polish troops on behalf of third countries or international organizations will be relocated to other parts of the world.
. . . . . . . . . .