Real Salt Lake beat Seattle Sounders on penalties in the MLS Cup Playoffs.


The Seattle Sounders were held to a goalless draw by Real Salt Lake in the first round of the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs on Tuesday night at Lumen Field.

In the first half, neither team was able to score a goal, and the game ended with a scoreless tie. Despite having seven shots to RSL’s zero, the Sounders were unable to find the back of the net.

Jordan Morris’s shot was saved in the 15th minute after Nicolas Benezet found space in the six-yard box and dropped a pass for him. Following that, Brad Smith and Cristian Roldan each had a shot blocked.

In the 50th minute, the Sounders had a four-on-three counterattack, but Morris’ shot was saved by the goalkeeper.

In the 73rd minute, Ral Ruidaz, who had just come off the bench due to a hamstring injury, hit the crossbar with a half-volley with David Ochoa beating him. Five minutes later, Yeimar came within a whisker of breaking the deadlock when he headed a Joo Paulo free kick straight at Ochoa.

No one could find the net in regulation or overtime, so the game went into a penalty shootout. With just three on target, the Sounders outshot RSL 21-0 but dominated the corner kick battle, 15-1. They also controlled 62% of the possessions.


Home winning streak ends

A penalty shootout ended the Sounders’ 15-match postseason home winning streak, ending a league record. Officially, the match ended in a stalemate.

First appearance since the MLS Cup in 2020 for Morris

Morris made his Sounders debut after an absence of nearly a full calendar year. His 103 minutes of running at RSL’s back line was an impressive performance in his third appearance since returning from an ACL injury he suffered in February.

Looking ahead to 2022

The Sounders’ 2021 season has been accounted for. Taking on Nashville SC at home on Feb. 27 will be Seattle’s season opener in the Concacaf Champions League.

You might also like
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: